I (Phil Underwood) am a musician/actor looking for a female fiddle player for my new show Canals Of Old England – here is some information for applicants:
The show is a two person show (myself and one other) of about 1-1 1/2 hours, depending on venue. The show tells the story of the 19th Century English canals – consisting of canal stories, songs – some traditional and some original by myself, poetry by me, historical texts.
I am pursuing individual gigs and tours, rural touring, theatres, libraries, hospitals, festivals, canal museums etc. I currently have a couple of possibilities but it’s early days and I need to get the lineup so I can publicise properly.
This is a continuous project for me – but you are welcome to apply if you only want to do say a tour. In which case I may set up a pool of musicians I can call on. Obviously good availability and willingness to be flexible is best. And you would need to rehearse.
Pay will be based on MU/Equity rates, if you are willing to do occasional lower paid gigs and door splits then that would certainly help. But overall it’s a professional production.
There is a strong educational element and I plan eventually to be offering workshops on canal life and history as part of a package. If you can lead workshops that would be great – but not essential.
Rehearsal effort – I estimate about 6 rehearsals – maybe fewer. I don’t have external funding at present so if you need payment for rehearsals we’d work something out – but I am going for Arts Council Funding. Meanwhile we can find creative ways to make it work.
I am looking for:
- Competent musician
- Play by ear essential – reading not essential but an asset (mainly for rehearsal)
- No age restriction
- Folk/Traditional style preferred but not essential
- The part will be in 19th C canal costume (bonnet and dress provided)
- Acting ability not essential but really good stage presence and energy are.
- Good singing voice, ability to harmonise would be an asset
- Good speaking voice
- If you can step or clog dance that would be fantastic but not essential
- I’m based in London/Milton Keynes
See Here for a couple of the songs
- Email: info <<at>>bonnetandbelt.com or use the Contact form
- Mobile: 07546 974009